Friday 22 May 2015

Happy Anniversary!

For our first wedding anniversary, he went to the Haribo factory in Dublin, bought a load of boxes of jelly babies and spent hours picking all the white ones - my favourites - out for me. He presented them in a beautiful keepsake box, along with a paper pig (my favourite animal) and a few other bits and bobs. We had champagne, a fancy dinner, the works. This week, as we celebrated four years of being husband and wife. I got a morning text wishing me a happy anniversary. No card, no present, no fuss. I'm not complaining. I would have forgotten completely if it hadn't been for his reminders.

A lot has happened since we walked down the aisle in front of family and friends back in 2011. Our eldest was only nine months old at the time and we've added two more to the brood. That's a hell of a busy four years. We've moved from Dublin to the countryside, I've quit my full time job to become a work-from-home mum. It's been pretty hectic.

Through sleepless nights, crying babies, dwindling funds and very few moments alone as a couple, we've had plenty of arguments and strops and stressful moments. But we've also come through it all and survived without killing one another. 

So we may have come to four years as husband and wife with less fanfare and less romance, but I'd like to think that we're stronger than ever as a team and as a family. And that's worth celebrating. Next year, I'll demand bubbly. I'll hopefully be functioning on more sleep by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment