Wednesday 25 May 2016

The emotional rollercoaster of leaving our kids for the first time

We finally did it. We managed to get away for the night on our own, without the kids. It’s only taken five and a half years and I only slightly freaked out at the prospect. We decided to go to Liss Ard Estate just outside Skibbereen in West Cork. It’s only half an hour away from where we live so we figured it was a good one for our first night away - we could easily have jumped into a cab and gone home if they hadn’t settled for our babysitter. It was absolutely glorious, with a romantic setting, gorgeous walks and fantastic food. And drink. The drink was fantastic. I went through lots of emotions whilst away and I’m sure a lot of other parents can relate. Here is the rollercoaster I went through:


*Saying goodbye was emotional. Tears welled up in my eyes as I kissed them all goodbye and watched them wave from the window. The girls were totally fine but our little boy looked less than impressed and lamented about how he was going to miss us “so much”. Guilts, guilts, guilts.

*Half way down the road,  I realised we were listening to the Frozen CD and switched it off for the first time in God knows how long. We got to listen to the radio. Grown up radio! Hurrah!

*Arriving at our destination and seeing our gorgeous room - not a cot bed in sight and a bottle of Prosecco waiting for us. Oh my gosh - bliss!

*Walking down to the treatment room to get a back and shoulder massage. “Oh God, maybe I should have rang them to see how they’re getting on.” “But it’s only been an hour, cop yourself on.” This is me arguing with myself, by the way. The worry and regret was creeping in. What have we done??

*Lying down on the massage table waiting for the therapist to come back. I can’t remember when I last lay down without someone hanging off me. About a million thoughts run through my brain as my sane self urges the panicking part of me to get a grip and relax. The massage was fantastic. The knots in my back had knots and they melted away.

*Back up to the room whilst himself has his massage. I walk around, wondering what to do with myself and decide that a shower without an audience and that didn’t have to be rushed, was in order. Pure bliss. I could get used to this.

*We get ready for dinner and enjoy a glass of Prosecco. Who am I kidding - we drank the whole bottle. We text the sitter and learn that the kids are doing great. Brilliant. We can properly relax now.

*Dinner was fabulous. I got to eat at normal pace rather than inhale everything down as quickly as possible. We enjoyed a delicious bottle of wine and dessert and didn’t have to worry about anyone running riot through the place. Wow. A revelation.

*After dinner, we go for a walk and a wander around the gardens. It’s gorgeous. “The kids would love this.” I lament. “I miss them.” We go back inside an order a G&T.

*We get word back that the kids are all asleep and happy. No tears and everything went without a hitch. Exhilaration! Why don’t we do this more often?! We order another G&T.

*By 11.30 we’re both zonked and hit the hay. The bed seems pretty huge without three children squished in on top of me. I’m a little sad but relish in the fact that I’ll get an uninterrupted night of sleep for the first time in God knows how long.

*3am I wake in a puddle of milk. I hadn’t realised how much my youngest must feed during the night. Me and the bed are drenched. Oh, the glamour. I find it hard to get back to sleep and wish she was there to relieve the throbbing sensation in my chest. I toss and turn for the rest of the night.

*8am we have a leisurely breakfast. Again, being catered to and eating in peace brings pure joy. It’s the little things.

*10am we have a guided tour of the gardens and the Sky Garden  and it’s amazing. We can take our time and enjoy conversation and not worry about someone legging it into the lake or picking random flowers that they shouldn’t.

*12 noon, the tour is over and we check out. We decide to head to the market and do a spot of shopping. After five minutes we’re anxious and want to get home to the kids so we get back into the car and head home.

*12.45, we arrive home and there are emotional hugs and a much needed feed from the baby. It’s so great to be back, gosh these kids are amazing, I feel so refreshed now.

*1pm, I’m making lunch and everyone is whinging that they want such and such instead. Back to reality. Maybe we should have stayed away that little bit longer after all.

The glamour of expressing!

<3

Liss Ard is glorious

Liss Ard is glorious 

No comments:

Post a Comment