Wednesday 4 May 2016

New me and all that jazz...


Anyone who has been following me on Snapchat will know that I've finally bitten the bullet this week and decided to do something about my health and fitness and the fact that I'm lazy and unmotivated when it comes to diet and exercise. My eating habits aren't all bad, as I generally have balanced meals and love fruits and vegetables, pulses, fish and all the good things we're constantly told we should be eating. My problem is snacking on crisps and eating multiple bars of chocolate a day, along with cake, biscuits, scones and whatever else happens to be around. I also don't drink enough water - I could go an entire day having only consumed a half cup of tea. It's ridiculous considering how much running around I do and considering I'm breastfeeding. It's no wonder that I look and feel a bit rubbish most of the time. I've been blaming 'baby weight' for the fact that none of my clothes fit me, but in reality it's gluttony that's gotten me into this mess. That and the fact I never exercise. And my skincare regime is non-existent. 

At the beginning of January I went out and bought myself a new pair of runners and they've been gathering dust since. But this week I dug them out again, and I purchased a pair of running leggings and a running jacket from Aldi. I stocked up on plenty of fruits and vegetables and seeds etc from there as well and I plan on being organised when it comes to snacking. Before I went on holidays I also bought myself some skincare products from Kinvara, a gorgeous Irish brand, and I'll be using that every day. No more removing makeup with baby wipes, not that I wear makeup very often. 

I'm not making huge changes because anything too drastic doesn't work with me. I'm simply promising myself that I'll eat a healthy breakfast every day, drink the minimum recommended 2 litre quota of water per day, squeeze 30 minutes of exercise into my routine (even just a brisk walk) and cut out the constant stream of junk. I'm still going to allow myself some treats as I think moderation will be the key to me getting back into the swing of not being addicted to sugar. I'm going to allow myself a small miniature bar of chocolate every day and I'll also be snacking on oatcakes and nut butters, which I love. Every morning, I'm also going to take some apple cider vinegar and some Omega 3 fish oils and Evening Primrose Oil. I find that when I take them regularly my mood is so much better - good news for everyone! 

So here I am on day one - a close up of my face with pretty patchy skin and dark circles under my eyes. My skin is also horribly dry, though you might not see it very well in this pic. The wrinkles are definitely creeping in because of it. 



Here's me in all my glory (aaaaargh!!!) on day one as well, in my new running leggings and my runners which have so far been ornaments. Although I won't be obsessing over the scales for this, my start weight is 65 kilos. I'm not sure if I have a goal, but I'm interested to see what happens by making the really small changes. I'll probably do a weekly weigh in for the heck of it though. BC (before children) I was always around the 53 kilo mark. 

Oh and I will be allowing myself a 'cheat' day - I can't be going seven days a week. And if there's a special occasion like a rare night out or a meeting with a friend, I won't be depriving myself either. Not a hope!



Veggie Haul





Lovely Kinvara products

My vitamins


Day 1 was yesterday and it went well. I didn't miss the chocolate as I'd had my small treat when the kids were in bed and because I drank loads of water, I wasn't constantly feeling the need to go to the fridge and see what I could snaffle. Let's see what the next week brings. I'll keep you posted!

Oh, and for anyone wanting to join me in my 'regime', here it is: a few tiny changes that could hopefully make a big difference.



  • Drink 2 litres of water a day
  • Take some apple cider vinegar in the morning
  • Reduce chocolate and sweet intake to a mini bar per day
  • Take care of my skin by cleansing and moisturising properly
  • Get 30 minutes of exercise daily
  • 1 cheat day per week

No comments:

Post a Comment